Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Meatball Subs are NOT Sandwiches


Wanted: a roundburger


This poster has been floating around the 'net for a little while now. Given its relevance to DSI, and its substantiation of my view that a meatball sub is NOT a sandwich (it's a Roundburger -- see my Complete, Unambiguous Sandwich Definition from August 25, 2005) I thought I should post it.

The rumour I've heard is that this image is a likeness taken from a real "Wanted" poster of an infamous criminal from the American west, over 110 years ago. This guy apparently realized, moments before being gunned down following a daring bank heist, that the Meatball Sub cannot be classified as a sandwich due to the non-natural formed shape of the meatballs — just like a burger, which also exists in another class.

I haven't checked Snopes yet to verify.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I somehow missed out on this gem of a post for quite a while. It was a true loss in my life, I now realise!
Em

jds said...

Oh my; I feel like I've been following a lawless state of my own design for too long. But I refuse to believe this CUSD or CUSPID or whatnot holds the key to what is and is not legally a sandwich. I think it's an official-esque definition guide of no more than opinion to which everyone seems to think is worth its weight in meatballs. But really, on what authority are opinions based? I'd really like to believe, but right now I just can't. Fight the power! Meatball subs are sandwiches.